Monday, June 27, 2011

River Recap

We have made it back to the land of wireless high speed internet, word processing, and my external hard drive. I failed to pack it down to the cabin as well as my laptop which prevented me from posting anything of substance. So I have decided to use each day this week to post about the last two weeks down in the country.




Our time in the country is always precious. This is the area of the state where both of my grandparent's grew up.

It is where we always went as a child to see family and commune with nature.

It is where some of my greatest childhood memories were made swimming, floating, canoeing, and boating the Current River and surrounding springs.

It is where I will provide my children the same opportunities.




We started our week with some quick swimming trips to the river and a day of breaking in a new slip and slide at the river house.




There is never a lack of nature at the river. Whether it is catching minnows and crawdads, or watching schools of fish swim by, there is always something to observe and discover. There are tons of turtles and even snakes to see as well, but I'll tell you more about our snake adventures later in the week.


My sister Jessie and her husband took E on an environmental adventure one day and they came back with this monster.




Can you guess what 9 out of 10 of us said?

Yes, you are right. We said he looked tasty and we should take him home and cook him up!

Lucky for him, E is about conservation as well as exploration, and sent him back to his home.

Did I mention snakes earlier?

We did encounter a snake on our first day at the river. But that is a story for another day. I'll just leave you with this...
When we were aware of the snake, I had flash backs to my childhood at the river and the speed at which people can vacate a body of water. I think people are faster now a days. At least I am, and I was carrying two kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment