Sunday, May 31, 2009

We are back in the US!






Well it is Sunday night. We are in Sioux City Iowa, in a hotel, enjoying the pool, cable, and WiFi. Pizza Hut for dinner was a must. Yesterday we finished traveling through Alberta. It was very Kansas looking and VERY windy. We saw several LARGE wind farms. They we very cool. They look like giants walking across the plains. Many of them were very near the road. It was a lesson in humbleness. We were so small, they were so massive and powerful. Right before the Canadian/US border, we stopped at the Alberta visitor center.




There we found a TREX! Yes, I have great pics of the boys running from the TRex pursuit. But, I have discovered that I may have left my camera cord at home. When I get it all figured out, I will post pics to these posts, just keep checking back.
We decided to drive through the night on Saturday night. We stopped at about 4:00 am on Sunday morning at a rest stop in South Dakota in the Black Hills. Brad and I joked that night that the Black Hills were rightly named. They sure were black. I suppose to a sleep deprived and weary traveler, that was funny. After a 2 hour nap at the rest stop, we all awoke, took a bathroom break and discovered that we were only 24 miles from Mt. Rushmore. Of course we went.

It too was humbling. It was a beautiful clear day, we arrived at about 7:30 in the morning so there were still not too many people around. It was incredible, indescribable, so very moving.
Tomorrow we hope to arrive in Jefferson City. We have many more travels ahead of us. I feel like we have been on the road for a month. I saw a funny saying at the Alberta rest stop. It was a quote from someone, I forget who. It went something like this. If you truly want to get to know someone, travel with them. I feel that we have all learned from each other in so many ways. We have so much more learning to do.
Till next time...

6 comments:

  1. Can't wait! love granny

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOO Happy that you are almost to Granny & Poppy's!!!XO Ma Bell:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! that sounds exciting!!!!


    We Luv ya. from Karen Kenzie

    ReplyDelete
  4. let us know when we can get together and well make a trip to jc as well! love heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're probably relaxing in JC by now! For some reason I was thinking you were bringing trusty rusty? As for the travel with them quote, you betcha! Driving out with my fam, my Dad, his girfriend, and our dog, the dog quicky was dubbed the best traveler! Today was Ollie's 5th bday,can you believe it! Hope to see you in your travels. Enjoying your posts. We're heading to western CO to dig dinosaurs on Sat.
    alaskablackburns, out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pictures are hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete