Sunday, June 17, 2012

Time for Rebuilding

Have I ever told you how awesome my siblings are?   They both possess incredible talents that I could never measure up to.  I love that.  My oldest son and I had the pleasure of being able to go on a mission trip with my brother's youth group to Joplin, Missouri.  We spent 4 days helping Americorp continue with cleanup and area rebuilding projects.  It was several days of debris removal with shoveling, raking and sorting.  We were covered in dirt from head to toe at the end of each day.  But the work was so satisfying.  Strangers that had no idea who we were or what group we were helping would stop to say thank you.  As we cleaned out a house that was being salvaged from one of the hardest hit areas, I came across a picture from the home owner.  Putting a face with the devastation mad the work so much more meaningful.  The final day was a personal favorite for me.  We spent the entire day hauling 5 gallon buckets of water and watering newly planted trees and flower beds in two area parks.  Having the cool water to keep my temperature down, the wonderful breeze that day and the joy of working directly with nature made that day so much more for me personally.  I was also able to see my oldest grow and learn in so many ways.  He was such a hard worker.  He never stopped.  His strength and endurance pushed me forward.  I am so thankful for the opportunity to serve with some of the most kind and giving people.

Here is the memorial park where we watered.  It is across from the hospital that was so badly destroyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment